26 January 2008

I love her even when she kicks me in the shins


We went to visit some friends tonight and have dinner. The kids ran around like kids do and *Mila* did a lot of screaming and squealing. Sometimes I wonder how she is genetically related to me. Was I abducted by aliens before my pregnancy? I knew it was time for us to go, as all mothers know and then it happened. She flipped out on me. Yeah, in some way it was my fault that she was over tired and cranky. It was time to go. I think I understood why other mothers before me had done it, pulled the plug. "TIME TO GO!" I announced it just like that. We got our coats and boots on by the door while *Mila* kicked me in the shins. Luckily, our friends are friends and understand that while I wanted to scream and boot her back, I had to refrain from my true nature and politely say "Stop that now *Mila*. Why are you kicking Mommy?" Meanwhile my fists were clenched while I imagined locking her up in a high tower and throwing away the key. Poor Rapunzel, my butt. We all know who locked her in that tower. It was her parents. She probably threw a major fit over a hairbrush or some conditioner and that was the last straw.

I am letting go of the guilt that I had earlier today for treating myself to a new hairdo and new clothes. Gone. I knew that being kicked in the shins was going to be the price I'd have to pay. A couple bruises for some new jeans. A few more for the hairdo. Ah, that's it. Please kick my left leg too for the new blouse. Good girl. Now, Dad will see the bruises and feel so sorry for me, he'll forget that I just dropped his hard earned dough on new duds. Oh, Joe Fresh is affordable at least. We'll remind him of that too.

Now, the parents are all exhausted and the 3.9 year old is wide awake and playing Pixel Chick. When she loves you back and says the sweetest things, you forget about the bruises on your shins, or the fact that she put a wad of gum in your hair, scribbled on your walls, spit on your new jeans, or screamed "UGH UGH UGH" even though she has spoken in perfect sentences since she was 8 months old. She's a doll. I love her even when she kicks me in the shins. Good times, eh *Steve*?


signed, the willow

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails