24 January 2008

Customer Service is Going, Going, Gone



I think I could write a book, or volumes of books on what I expect to receive as a customer service experience. Spurts of good customer service are followed by non-existent customer service and ultimately, bad customer service.


We bought our won grocery bags and bins from a particular grocery chain. Funny, because the competing chain dropped a free reusable bag on everyone's doorstep? I'm not a super hero and I don't expect my good Samaritan sticker each time I go in to get my groceries. With the way that teenagers pack groceries, I figure I save at least 50 bags a week. I bring my bags elsewhere and even Zellers has given us free bags. So, we use them. But there is a problem with these bins and bags. Suddenly, the staff that once packed 2 items in each plastic bag, do not know how to pack in bins or reusable nylon bags. Now I have reverted back to packing groceries.

Remember, I come from grocery stock. I was not born in the produce section, but I grew up in my parent's grocery store. I played in the butcher shop, the stock room, the office, even the haunted basement. Anyone who was anyone played on that conveyor belt that rode up and down to the basement. My dad would shove them in a box built for a Costco-pack of diapers and we'd push the green button. On the odd occasion, a wriggly kid would bust through the box or knock it over and fly down the conveyor into 100 boxes of canned beans. Yeah, good times. No, really good times. No sarcasm there. That store still haunts me in my dreams. In its dismantled state, in my childhood eye state, and the haunted basement state. That basement was haunted.

I just don't understand what trying to save the environment has to do with cashiers eliminating some of their job description. Well, to the girl who didn't pack for me yesterday or so thank you or smile....the nice young man in the parking lot who gathers carts gave me the best customer service experience and surely, he's not a University graduate. In fact when I sat down to read my email last night a friend had forwarded this movie to me. Not my exact experience, because I didn't mention how my entire bin slid off the bottom of the cart and emptied into the crosswalk of the parking lot. Immediately following this, a woman in minivan narrowly backed over top of me and *Mila* bouncing in the cart! This movie made me feel like "Yeah. It is a really genuine basic quality, a naivety to be nice. And it is going, going gone."
signed, the willow

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails