17 November 2007

Where is my personal obstacle course?



I really have enjoyed walking along the creek with the dog. Today, things changed for me and I realized that my personal obstacle course has been de-challenged. You see, for the past three years that we have lived here we've hopped over rocks, leaped over puddles and swatted mosquitoes (all 3 of them) down by the creek on our walks. Today, I noticed what the trail had become. It has become a trail. Groomed. Landscaped, even. And professionally landscaped I might add. Now, I don't want to discredit the landscapers and I don't want to offend the physically challenged people that need the ease of a smooth walkway. Don't get me wrong here. They will even appreciate that the fun is taken out of everything these days. We leave no obstacle courses, no challenges, nothing to the imagination, no "take the stairs" options. We just pave it over and call it a drive-thru. It's really not right. I liked those bumps. The puddles that were created in the carved out limestone were used by *Mila* for jumping in and drinking for Suma the dog. I liked running free down there and picking up the predictable pieces of garbage. It was my personal challenge. Where now? I had to ask myself this. Where will I take my challenge now? I love the trails and love them being groomed. For me, it's too late. I have had my turn at pushing a baby stroller down there while handling a dog. Now, there is an even slope, all smoothly surfaced. Maybe "Land Rover Mommy" will take her gourmet dog of the week down there with her $9000 stroller now. They've poisoned us with their poison apple AGAIN!

signed, the willow

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails