28 November 2007

Please? For Nadia?


I am visited by the memories of my childhood gymnastics hero: Nadia Comaneci. She's going to be on Donald Trump's Apprentice: Celebrity Edition. From her pointed toes and her stark white leotard with the stripes down the side. I lived to be like Nadia. Sadly, I grew up in a small town where gymnastics was merely recreational at the time. My mother was one of the original founders of the club and she was there to coach me and hold my hand when somebody hurt my feelings or looked at me the wrong way. Now, I seem to have that task. In case someone gives direction that is not warranted in art class. I have to stay there to pass *Mila* her teddy bear.

Where was I?

Nadia! Yes, a couple years ago I was fortunate enough to convince *Mila* into going to gymnastics. She was young and I think only 18 months old at the time. I think she even wore a pull-up diaper at the time. Occasionally wearing panties to a lesson or two. The coach and owner was on the same Romanian Olympic Gymnastics team as Nadia. As you entered the gym she had this larger than life dry-mounted photo of her Olympic team. I think her husband was a member as well. Then there was a large autographed photo of Nadia. I used to stare at the poster and pretend that I wasn't interested. But I couldn't help it. I was under Nadia's spell again. Since *Mila* was not too interested in gymnastics, she chose to not go back. I think I have asked her every day...."Do you want to go to gymnastics again?"

And the answer is always a resounding "no".

signed, the willow

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails