02 July 2008

Attack of the Killer 4 Year Old

When you were four did you dream of what you would one day become? I know that I wavered between being a ballerina or a gymnast. But I never dreamed that I could do both. It was as if our parents had only one career throughout their lives (or so they thought they would) and we too had to choose our careers carefully and not stray from these plans. Tonight over a spaghetti dinner, *Mila* chose to describe in great detail what she would some day become. She, like other children her age have seen their parents hop from job to job, career to career and struggle with their own identities. Sometimes I think that *Mila* and her peers are really here to guide their parents more than anything. She told me of how she will be a ballerina in Swan Lake so her grandmother can see her perform for Gramma's first ever ballet, win a gold medal in gymnastics at the Olympics, be an artist, become a doctor and then save the polar bears from extinction. She surely will have more dreams to come and I'm so glad that she can recognize that she CAN do all of these things. It really is possible. Shouldn't we all set our own standards this high?

signed, the willow

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails