04 July 2008

100 Years Later We're Still Driving Cars That Use Gasoline

I started to think about a car that my grandmother remembers in her childhood, their family car: a McLaughlin-Buick. I can't source what year the car was at this time. But in googling this Canadian car manufacturer I discovered this. And then this. Truly this car was around 100 years ago.
My grandmother can remember touring in the family McLaughlin up to the Interlake area and driving to Piney, Manitoba to set up a campsite for the night. She said that my great-grandfather, her dad, loved to camp and he would throw a blanket over the boughs of a tree and voila! campsite. Can you imagine if we suggested that to our children now-a-days? Sleep on the ground? Never? Mosquitoes? I'm sure they were just as abundant then as they are now in Piney, Manitoba. When I lived in Winnipeg, I can remember not being able to run from the house to the detached garage without being EATEN ALIVE!
Okay, so they had a car. They drove it around. It ran on gasoline. Now, I'm sure that they were not driving this car in 1908 as my grandmother was not yet born. But we have been driving cars using gasoline for over 100 years. In a very short time we've been able to perfect the microwave oven, the personal computer, BlueTooth technology, and tiVo. Yes, but we still continue to tap into a non-renewable resource to run our cars. Hmm? I wonder if there are some controlling powers hard at work here. Fighting for these natural resources. Pumping them from the earth, destroying all living things in their way and starting wars from their fear and greed. When we can't think of what we can now fill our tanks with, we turn to corn. Corn? Yes, corn? So, now animals are starving, people are starving - for our damn cars! What is wrong with this?
signed, the willow

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree food fuel when we don't have enough food for eating is foolish at best - and what's worse governments are subsidising farmers to do it . . . and on a funny note, depending on your source, ethanol fuel is only 80 - 85% as effecient (getting energy per unit of fuel) as gasoline.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails