20 October 2011

Song of the Spindle

The whale that I painted during the G8 - guarding the oceans and waters of the world.  Steward of the waters.

Which makes me love the connection here with this whale video.  The odd thing is, today *Mila* and I walked home talking about the brain size relative to body size of an animal.  I used a whale as an example of a large brain, then we got hung up on the pea brain variety of birds (and humans).  Fast forward 2 hours and I run across this video.  It starts off talking about brain size of animals.  The singing connection between human and the whale is so unusual.  It haunts me.  I love whales and I remember why. It was that flippy, floppy paper-like record, that arrived in the National Geographic magazine in the early 1980s, proving that whales too made music.  My grandparents went to Hawaii and more whale songs soon arrived on vinyl.  We all pretended to enjoy their deep dark songs from the ocean realm.  Honestly, their songs were sad, morose and told a story.

This is their story.  Enjoy the film.





Song Of the Spindle from Drew Christie on Vimeo.



signed, the willow

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails