11 October 2011

Making a latte

First, start the machine


Pour the milk about 'yay' deep (1/3 full) in the stainless steel container.  Cold, skim milk works the best.


Turn on the steam wand (while the wand is in the milk).  Like so...



Hold the canister as the steam wand begins to steam the milk.  "Pull" the milk up and down in a vertical motion.  You should hear a hissing or kissing sound, but not a sputtering or gurgling.  



You're looking from thick dense foam here and not big fluffy bubbles.  As the foam develops, swirl the steam wand around in the milk.



Set the milk aside and tap it on the counter if you see large air bubbles.


Take a wet cloth and clean your steam wand.



Meet the portafilter


Freshly grind the espresso and fill the portafilter.  It should overflow slightly and be sure to clean all areas around the filter, so they are free of espresso (as this will damage your machine).


Using your tamper (and mine is not a good one, it just happened to come with the machine, so it fits the filter) apply about 30 pounds of pressure and do a very slight turn.  Make sure to apply even pressure so that the espresso is tamped flat, smooth, and level.



Lock the portafilter in place and press "go".



Look at the espresso here it comes.  I'm running a double shot here.


Voila, a nice rich red colour with crema on top.  If the crema is white, you'll have a bitter shot.  Watch for black dark espresso in the liquid part as this is wrong as well.  This takes practice and that's what makes it so fun.


I'm running another double shot and I don't want to spoil this shot.  Make sure that something hot is added to that espresso shot within 10 seconds, or it's lost.  I've added a splash of our steamed milk and prepared my second double shot.  I've spared you the details.


Here comes the second shot.


Now we are going to add that steamed milk.  Using a container to pour that has a sharp, or peaked, spout works well.  IKEA sells some great barista supplies.


Carefully pour, you don't want the foam to fall on top.  As you near the bottom of the liquid milk, you'll see a white spot form in the latte (yes, you've made a latte).  Play with this.  Waggle it back and forth and draw a zig zag, or a big line.  Or leave it as a bigger dot (make a heart with this dot).

Waggle.


My special tool of the day was a knife.  I've never been known to use a knife to draw with.  Normally, I'm using a toothpick, fondue fork or chopstick.  I guess I felt adventurous. One of the best tools is the tip of a meat thermometer (use it exclusively for the espresso machine and ... did I just have to tell you that?).


Go with it.  It's a .... feather?



And if you aren't happy with your design, plop that foam on top and you've got yourself a smurfy cappuccino.


Cinnamon and voila!


sip, sip, enjoy.

signed, the willow

3 comments:

  1. 0oh I LOVE the feather willow! Great post my sweet friend <3
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why aren't my comments appearing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, Anonymous, your comment has appeared. Your wish is my command.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails