21 October 2011

Abandoned Places



source:  mining markets
Lately I've noticed a lot of the posting and re-posting of the 100 abandoned houses of Detroit.

Which makes me think of this site, Ontario Abandoned Places.  It has long been one of my favourite sites to get a spine chill.  One of my favourites is an old mine in Ear Falls.  Primarily because I grew up not too far away.  But also because we used to visit old mining spots as a bit of a hobby with my family.

One of our faves was a stop along the Hudson highway (Hwy 664), where the concentration of iron in the lake (or man made puddle of trailings) was reddish brown.  There were so many old artifacts there, it was like stepping back in time.  The buildings were falling down (or had fallen down) and terribly dangerous.  I'm sure it's all but disappeared into the shadows of the scrubby brush along the highway and been barricaded by nature.

I'd love some more history on that mine.  Who worked there?  Where did those people disappear to?  I have an image of a society of people that vanished in some fashion like that of a M. Night Shyamalan movie.

signed, the willow

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails