14 October 2011

Nia Bo-Bia, Shanana-Bana-Po-Pia, Nia!



The past two weeks, I have been sneaking off to a Nia class in Hamilton.



click {here} to read who & where



Laura, a friend from *Mila's* old school, is the instructor.  She's got a natural knack for this relatively new way of moving one's body.  It's described as Nia (neuromuscular integrated action):

Nia is a sensory-based movement practice that leads to health, wellness and fitness. It empowers people of all shapes and sizes by connecting the body, mind, emotions and spirit. Classes are taken barefoot to soul-stirring music in more than 45 countries. Trainings are designed for those seeking personal enrichment and professional development. Every experience can be adapted to individual needs and abilities. Step into your own joyful journey with Nia, and positively shape the way you feel, look, think and live.  (source:  Nia Now)
source:  niawellness

You can read all you want at Laura's site or the Nia Now site.  The expected response is going to be "Oh, it's like yoga!"  Sure, logical.  I brought my yoga mat.  Don't fret.  But I got so much more.  Dance steps.  Stretches.  Kenpo punches. (insert my Viking heart here)  Booty shaking.  Spirituality.  Enlightenment.  Insightfulness.  Introspective.  Aha, see where I'm going?  No, not to Yoga!  I love yoga, don't get me wrong.  But, Nia offered me so much more.  A chance to pop out a "no" while I punched the air. (insert more Viking heart here)  An opportunity to throw out the trash of my daily life.  A practice for me.  A giggle.  An expression of me.   

Oh, hello there "Me".  How have you been?  

I felt alive, a sweat had broken, with no pain.  A relaxed rejuvenation.  I was genuinely rejuvenated.  Enough to come home and suffer the pain of wall squats with Tony Horton's P90X after.  Nia offered me no pain.  Nia offered me satisfaction.  And so, I'll continue with Nia.  She's a good friend.

It was nice to get out and try something new.  Will you join us?  


signed, the willow


2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails