12 December 2008

Tally the Cards

My brother and I have a family holiday tradition of counting cards. So far, I am one ahead of him. The only rule thus far is that we are not allowed to mail ourselves cards. I am wondering if catalogues and calendars count? If they do I am very far ahead. See yesterday's post.

This week has been stressful for *Mila* and I. Both of us like to use our tears to express ourselves. But we also like to eat a bowl of black cherry ice cream to drown our woes too. I experience great sadness when I think of an adult yelling at a child - and it reminds me to have more ice cream and less screaming, as a mother who has screamed in the past. I speak from experience. Life can be like a bowl of ice cream and involve meltdowns and freezing moments. The memories we make at these tender ages of 4, 5, and 6 last lifetimes. If you think back to Kindergarten you might not remember things. Good. It probably means your Kindergarten teacher sang you some nice songs while you napped on your pillow. Why did we have to have a nap during our 2 hours of school anyhow? When the bad memories start to burn their way into the images of 35 mm film of your mind is around age 6, or grade 1. You begin to recognize embarrassment and want only to fit "in". I remember going home in grade 1 the day our dog died, or "ran away" as my mother gently put it to me. I remember how badly I wanted to stay home that day and not go back after lunch. Struggling with my mother, she probably let me stay home with her to mourn the loss of the dog that "ran away".

signed, the willow

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails