04 November 2011

On occasion

On occasion we meet someone who cares enough to listen and pay attention.

*L* is one of these people that I was fortunate enough to meet.  An old soul and she's been chosen by my cousin to join him in life.  I've respected my little cousin (they're all littler than me in age) and looked forward to the moment that he'd marry and bring a wife into our nutso family. He didn't disappoint.  Funny thing is, because of geography and circumstance, I'm here in this obscure suburban city at the same point in life as they are.

It's rare, isn't it?  To spark a friendship so instantly? We've sparked a friendship and influenced each other more than we know.  Not in that silly old school girl way.  In a mature, eye-opening way.  I've just finished a portion of my life that I'd like to sweep under a carpet in some ways.  I made mistakes.  Big ones.  Mistakes I regret making.  Mistakes I am also thankful to have experienced.  I grew.  Grew in so many large leaps.  I gained some really great friends on that journey. Friends I long for and miss. Friendships have always presented themselves to me, but I refused to let myself get attached in the event that I would get attached and I'd get hurt.  Human nature goes here.  The unique friendships I gained in Muskoka were brief, but deep.

They affected me in a way that I had never expected.  There were women and some men that genuinely wanted to see my life's purpose work out.  What I didn't know then was, that was not my life's purpose.  It was the adversity I needed to face in order to pick myself up and dust myself off to discover my life's purpose.  Do I know what my purpose is?  Hmmm.  Maybe not perfectly clear on that yet.  I do now know that I feel better about myself.  

So, where is this all leading and where does it tie in back to *L*?  Well, what happened to me when I left that portion of  life behind and my friends situated on the map 3 hours north was I found a new friend.  Immediately. The first day we arrived back into our southern nest, she was an immediate and natural relief.  Opened her arms and hugged us.  She must have followed us from Muskoka where I had tearfully left so many great huggers behind.  She allowed me to be myself.  She's my instant friend and we've discovered so many great similarities and lessons to learn from each other.  We've learned to drag ourselves out to meet up with other new friends too.  And that's the best part.  We can teach each other how to be a friend.

Most importantly, I learned the other day that *L* clearly paid attention and cared.  She recognized that I'm celebrating a birthday this month and while it's not until later this month, her thoughtfulness reigned over the day and she brought me a special surprise.  One I did not expect.  One I certainly shall express my gratefulness here.  Grateful for listening and being a true friend.


A "K" mug.  So stylish and reminds me of 'Steven and Chris' but with edge and way more class.








A bag of coffee I've always wanted to try.  Named for a famous Canadian author (Guess who?) and also the name of my grandmother.  So very special.





A bag to hold it all with a motto that I live by.


And then there's this book.  One that I've been eyeballing online and dreaming that I'd go buy it when I was willing to part with my ...*ahem*... money.  Okay, okay:  my husband's money.  I dove right into that book and had trouble putting it down.  *L* really gets me.


I'm sure you feel the same about someone you've met.  Share.  And if you can't share it with me, share your story about a great friend with someone.  Shout it from the mountaintops.  Just don't hold it in like I did for so many years with so many really true friends, who still stand by my side.  You know who you are.


signed, the willow

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails