11 May 2009

Happy Mother's Day Yesterday


Yesterday, I was so damn busy going to playgrounds from Oakville to Waterdown that I was unable to post a Happy Mother's Day message to my mom. That's her above. Both pictures are of her. If you know what I look like you'll know that my mom and I look a lot alike. Except our baby pictures. Turns out, I was "lightbulb head" like my dad.


My mom is indescribable. She worked so hard at looking after my brother and I. She never let things stand in her way, she just trudged on. Now, I am making her sound like a soldier. It's not like that. She is both modest and kind, she went out of her way to do things for us that I don't know that I do as a mother. I'm far more selfish. In fact, my whole generation is and ironically we are all becoming parents later in life. So what IS our excuse?
Every Mother's Day I flop out on a gift for her. What can I get her that is meaningful, stylish, cool, useful, functional, artsy-fartsy and sentimental? I give up, what? This year she wanted an antique barn star. One of those old tin barn stars? I can't find one anywhere. I guess I live in the land of urban conventionalism, my brother might be able to help out as he lives in the land of rustic and wild. Instead, I got her this:

What the hell is it, you are asking yourself. It is a letter "L". Now that I look at it, I probably could have made one myself. Here I go again. But it is faux snakeskin and I don't know where on earth I could buy faux snakeskin vinyl paper. The problem lies in the initial "L". She bears no initial with the letter L. Although, she does get nicknamed Lainie or Lady of the Lake. I bought it to symbolize LAKE. She could put it down at her beach and it would stand in for the word LAKE. Because in case you haven't noticed there is a vast body of water down at the beach, it is called a LAKE. This is why I give up on myself. There is too much insanity in my wee brain to process anything other than LAAAKE.

Here are some other important mothers of the day. My Gran. She's my mom's mom. And that is my mom in her lap, with a wet nappie.In this picture, you have my Dad's family. That's my Dad with his lightbulb shaped noggin in the front row (striped shirt) and my grandmother is second from the right.
Happy Mother's Day to my mother, and my grandmother, and all the mothers across the globe. You are all sweet even if you do let your children watch Dora and use their outside voices in indoor venues.


signed, the willow

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails