19 February 2009

If I yelled "NO" at you, would you listen?

You might think that I am starting off this blog entry about yelling at your five year old. Not true. For one, my child is still on the brink of five and for two, I don't need to yell at her unless she walks into traffic (and yes, even the most brilliant children get distracted and do this)! I have for a long time had an issue with saying NO to people and confronting them. On most, if not all, occasions it has caused me duress and even heartache. When you feel too much it can become a detriment.
Recently I was mentioned at a meeting that they would enlist me for my services. I wasn't there and of course found out through the tight little grapevine that I was volunteered for a position I knew nothing about. When I tried to say no in my polite way of saying "Well, I can't do this part and I could do that part" it wasn't regarded. Next thing I knew I was getting my husband involved and I had hoped that I wouldn't have to make up a terrible excuse about the whole thing. So, I came right out and said "no"....and now I wait to see what will come of it. Will my no be discounted? Will they hear only what they want to hear? I think we all know what will happen then.
Then this little school incident happened yesterday. *Mila* came home in tears as some boy in her class took ownership of her artwork and took it home. Okay, I know it's Junior Kindergarten and I explained to her that she needs to put her name on things. But the little boy lied about it and *Mila* needed my power as a parent to defend her. She was clearly upset about it and so I did something I thought would be more difficult. I confronted the boy's mother. She basically discounted it and thought it was funny that he would lie. Almost as if it were clever. It wasn't. It hurt a little girl's feelings and he's lying! Why are you letting your kid lie? Now, I know you're probably thinking to yourself "How the Hell do you know that your kid is telling the truth?" Here is how I know...I've spent many days in that classroom with the kids and I know that the little boy will lie about the most foolish of things. Not sure why he does it. Maybe to gain attention. Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing. Maybe I'm doing what I should do, which is to stick up for my child. And maybe my daughter will now witness what I have known for many years, some people JUST DON'T GET IT!
signed, the willow

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails