23 February 2009

Forgive me Banana Republic, for I have sinned

About 5 years ago when my belly was full of chocolates and baby, I promised myself that within 2 years I would waltz into Banana Republic and barely fill out a pair of size 2 jeans. Okay, so that didn't happen. I dreamed about those jeans and yes, I did even find an old pair of American Eagle pants in a 2 that I literally stuffed myself into. After consuming no meat and downing a a bottle of "Liquid Bum Party" pills and the purchase of a treadmill, I can safely say that I will officially scratch Banana Republic off my list. Sorry, I really wanted it to happen but it won't be happening.
This Sunday we went in pursuit of a Sleeping Beauty costume for *Mila*. Being February, there aren't a lot of costumes around and she was pretty adamant that she wanted one for her birthday. In talking to a friend, she suggested we try a second hand store.
Second hand stores when I was a little girl consisted of stinky old black plastic garbage bags full of moth-eaten sweaters in an over-packed Sally Ann. And yes *Steve*, I believe I spent a good chunk of my childhood there with my grandmother as she volunteered a good chunk of her life to sorting and bagging and selling and providing to the needy. We used to uncover a lot of great treasures there and I can remember my mom cringing when I would ask if I could take home the spit-stained peach or turquoise dress from 40 years ago, so I could wear it to school. Hey, Gran suggested it might be a clever look for the Spring.
So, theses joints have changed an incredible deal from where they were 30 years ago. The clothes are hand picked, clean, scent-free and come from top stores like...ahem...Banana Republic. Yep. So, what was I worried about. Maybe after I picked up several pair that looked like the ones that were currently in my closet, i.e. ripped to be cool, I decided on a cute little pair for $5, in a size 4 (sorry, no 2s for me ever again).
Last night I was up watching the Oscars until the bitter end. Can we say "Slumdog"? Why is there always a clear winner at the Academy? I don't get it sometimes. When Sean Penn won for Best Actor, I yelled out excitedly "BRAD PITT!!!" *Steve* glanced over at me with that look that husbands sometimes get for their wives when their wives yell out Brad Pitt at random on inappropriate occasions. I guess I was just so happy to not hear Mickey Rourke, that Sean Penn was the closest thing to Brad Pitt. Have you seen Mickey Rourke lately? Can we say "Slumdog"? (Sorry Slumdogs).
signed, the willow

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails