27 March 2009

Red River, Red River, I feel like I have a shiver


The Red River bordered my home in Winnipeg (this photo is not even close to the Red River - it is a calm meandering stream close to my new home in Burlington). We were positioned near a bend in the Red River and every Spring we felt doomed that our basement would fill with icy cold water. It never did happen while we lived in that house from 1998 to 2003. But I am afraid that the little house on the Prairie may see its day coming soon. With all these levees cracking in North Dakota and the usual sandbagging in Lockport and St. Paul, Winnipeg may have the flood of the century. I certainly hope not, it was 20 degrees below zero (Celsius) there yesterday with the windchill. I know this because my mother flew back that direction yesterday from our balmy airport. While I'm glad to be away from the mosquitoes and the -40 degree winters, I do miss Winnipeg and I mostly miss the people of Winnipeg. They are like no others you'll meet anywhere in Canada.
signed, the willow

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails