09 September 2008

My Pet Rocks

The summer was short for everyone this year. I won't try to lay claim to our summer being shorter than your summer, or your aunt's summer. It just wouldn't be right. We all had a short summer. And these rocks are the living proof. When it is raining for days on end and the sun almost never shines, the water is too cold for swimming, the water is too high for swimming and the mosquitoes almost never stop biting!


We thought about fall leaves. I think that my mother painted this one. Doesn't look my leaf venation. The botanist in me gets far too technical. I love the white dots of paint that seem to hint at snow as well!


I became obsessed with trapping cartoon marine life inside of jars. It would seem fitting that formaldehyde stinks up the labs of high school students instead and these fictional creatures were humanely trapped inside with grins and googly eyes.


Let's not forget some of our favourite family quotes:

  • Stop your whining
  • A stripe by any other name
  • Lucky Duck (once misheard by my mother when my niece asked for Cookie Dough ice cream)


My favourite rock and least favourite picture. "Come drink the stars" inspired by the multitude of stars that Northwestern Ontario can offer like no other place on this planet. The serenity of these heavens is unparalleled by any other locale south of it. The Red Hot Chili Peppers can take partial credit for the inspiration for these words as well, from their song "Road Trippin".

One more thing, Girl Effect dot org. Please check it out.

signed, the willow

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails